You might hear that the only person you need to prove anything to is yourself. That’s true. However, if you’re extremely competitive and/or like to prove people wrong, you’re going to have to work at it.
Here’s five things you can do to be able to do anything!
- Work at it. Captain obvious here to inform you that you do have to put some effort into what you want to do. Work up to it with smaller goals. Want to ride your bike 65 miles in a day? Ride the area you’re going to be riding and just see how far you can go in 30 minutes. You might surprise yourself!
- Believe in yourself. Everyone’s telling you that you can’t do it? Who cares! Do it anyway. Show them, and yourself that you can do whatever you want.
- Challenge yourself. So you’re working at it, and you have a strict schedule you’re sticking to, but what if you can do 100 sit-ups a week before it says to do so on you “30 day sit-up challenge”? Try it. If you don’t make it that’s okay! You just know you need to work at it a bit more. If you make it then you know you were ready! Always push yourself to go just a little further. “In life, if you don’t risk anything, you risk everything.” – Unknown.
- Be spontaneous. You’re at the beach, it stormed earlier that day. It’s still chilly, and it’s still windy. You want to go in the water, but you’re afraid it’ll be too cold for you. Do it. You might be perfectly comfortable. You might be extremely uncomfortable, but hey, at least you didn’t let your fear get the best of you. “You’ll never even know if you never, ever try” – Hall of Fame, The Script feat. Will.I.Am.
- Fail, but don’t lose hope. Let’s face it, you’re going to fail. Failure is a fact of life, it’s going to happen. The way to prove to yourself that you can do it is to try again. “Let’s go invent tomorrow instead of worrying about what happened yesterday” – Steve Jobs